Good Morning Team – In a few hours the new year will begin. Do something different this year and plan 2012 the way you want it to be, write it on something you will read often and THEN together we can make it happen. This is important because;
“Our goals can only be reached through the vehicle of a written plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.” –Stephen Brennan
“People with clear written goals, accomplish far more in a shorter period of time than people without them could ever imagine“. -Brian Tracy
There are a bazillion “goal writing” plans, workshops, and formats – pick one and run with it…or just grab a sheet of paper …because that’s all it takes.
“Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart“. ~William Wordsworth
BEGIN WITH HERE AND NOW
Please understand that your mind thinks in pictures, and for the most part, in a linear manner. It can only plan according to what it understands currently. So what works best is to write your goals as if you were creating your perfect day of building your business. Perfect days become perfect weeks, months, years. Start with activity goals – like how many calls you will make, demos you will do, trainings you will attend – because YOU control those things and because activity leads to production and production leads to money and THEN the money can buy the THINGS you want.
CREATE A CLEAR PICTURE
You’ve just been asked to put together a jigsaw puzzle. Having done many such puzzles, you’re excited to get started. You pour out all 1,000 pieces, spreading them out across a large table. You then pick up the lid of the box to look at what you’re putting together. And there’s no picture! Yikes! Without it, putting together the puzzle will take a really really long long time. The same principle applies to your life and business. No picture = no life = you’re working to complete someone elses’ picture. What is the clear picture of who you want to BE as you build your business? Who is in the picture with you?
Here’s what I’ve learned about goals and goal setting from my 23+ years of studying success and successful people;
1. You MUST acknowledge where you’re starting from and just because you haven’t done something before…doesn’t mean you can’t learn to do it now.
2. Your goals MUST be bigger than you..especially to the point of scaring you. Example; My wife and I see our business this way;
“We’re Attracting a Global Organization of Extraordinary Individuals Dedicated to Loving, Learning and Connecting with Grace and Abundance while serving ever Increasing numbers of People.”
3. They MUST be Specific. Example; if your goal is a new car…What year, make, model, color, features etc. Fluffy language like I want “more money”, “more time”, “more love”…gives your brain zero information to act upon and therefore gets you less of those things.
4. You MUST attach a time frame. no deadline = no urgency = no have.
5. You MUST never ask “How”…only “WHY”. The how will be provided on the path of your journey.
6. You MUST attach a big, detailed, emotionally significant “WHY” to each of your goals. Example, If your goal is $5000. a month….that’s great…but you don’t want that because you want 5000 pictures of George Washington for your bathroom wall…..there’s a “WHY” behind each goal…what will achieving it allow you to Be, Do and Have?
A Great way to focus your “WHY” is to ask yourSelf how achieving any particular goal will benefit others. Prospering By Serving Others is key.
And finally they must be read and re-read multiple times per day, everyday with Passion!!!
Live With Intention,