Good Morning Team – we get asked this question a lot, even when it’s not the biggest goal setting day of the year. No matter what, or whose, goal setting system you choose to use, the key common denominator among them all is this; hand write your goals.
We’re sitting on a property that was once a dream we transformed into a goal, looking at a house built for Julie’s parents that started as a dinner table discussion. So we know for a fact that writing goals down makes the difference between a hope and wish vs creating a new reality. Here are some other points that you might find useful as we enter 2013.
“Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul; the blueprints of your ultimate achievements.” –Napoleon Hill
BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND: Please understand that your mind thinks in pictures and for the most part – in a linear manner. It can only plan according to what it understands currently. Start with activity goals – like how many people you’re going to speak with, which products you’re going to use, etc. Because activity leads to production. Production leads to money and THEN with money can buy the THINGS you want. Essentially you’re going to have two sets of goals; 1. “ACTIVITY” goals and 2. “Thing” goals.
ACT WITH THE END IN HEART You’ve just been asked to put together a jigsaw puzzle. You’re excited to get started. You pour out all 1,000 pieces, spreading them out across a large table. You then pick up the lid of the box and look at it – but there’s no picture! It’s blank! How will you ever be able to finish the puzzle without knowing what it looks like, you wonder? If you only had a one-second glimpse of what it’s supposed to be. That’s all you need one picture of the finished product. Without it, putting together the puzzle will take a really long long time….
Now picture your life and your “1000 pieces”. What is the clear picture of who you desire to BE as you build your business? Who is in the picture with you? What are you Being, Doing, Having?
Here’s what I’ve learned about goals & goal getting from my 25+ years of studying successful people;
1. You MUST acknowledge where you’re starting from and just because you haven’t done something before…doesn’t mean you can’t learn to do it now and/or in the near future.
2. Your goals MUST be bigger than you…especially to the point of scaring you. Example; “We’re Attracting a Global Team of Extraordinary individuals Dedicated to Loving, Learning and Connecting with Grace and Abundance”
3. They MUST be Specific. Example; if your goal is a new car; What year, make, model, color, features etc. Fluffy language like “I want a new car, “more money”, “more time”, “more love” …gives your brain zero info to act upon and actually gets you less of those things.
4. You MUST attach a time frame. No deadline = no urgency = no have.
5. You MUST never ask “How”…only “WHY”. The how will be provided by your mentors.
6. You MUST attach a big, detailed, emotionally significant “WHY” to each of your goals. Example, If your goal is $5000. a month….that’s great…but you don’t want that because you want 5000 pictures of George Washington for your bathroom wall…..there’s a “WHY” behind that. What will achieving that allow you to Be, Do and Have? A Great way to focus your “WHY” is to ask yourSelf how achieving any particular goal will benefit others.
Finally, they MUST be hand written first (you can type them later) AND they MUST be read and re-read multiple times per day, every day with the same strong emotional feeling you’ll have when you’ve achieved those goals. This way your mind masters what to do. Repetition is the mother of skill.
So now grab a pen and start writin! Put your “picture” on paper…and over the next year watch your miracles come together….with Grace and Abundance.
Live With Intention,